Friday 9 March 2012

Coincidences.

I find the following fact slightly odd.

Sarah’s house has a yard at the back where the garages and stables are located, and illuminating this yard are two exterior lights. (There might be more for all I know, but two can be seen from the road.) Now, for the last three nights in succession, those lights have been on as I approached the house, but were turned off shortly before I reached it. The times of my walk vary from night to night, but the lights went off just as I reached about the same spot on Mill Lane. Tonight was the fourth consecutive night, and the lights were on as usual. I thought ‘No, it’s never going to happen a fourth time.’ But it did. It did. I feel that coincidence is beginning to get a bit stretched here.

And then there was another interesting little element to tonight’s walk. Ever since I first heard Simon and Garfunkel’s song America, I’ve been captivated by the line

And the moon rose over an open field

...especially since the harmony on that line is pretty neat. I’ve never in all my life seen a moon rise over an open field, but tonight I did. I noticed when I left the house that there was no moon, and that was a bit of a disappointment (’cos I like the moon, you know?) But when I reached the aforementioned abode of M’Lady, I looked over to my right and there was the full moon rising – over an open field.

So are there omens afoot here? Sarah keeps turning the lights out on me, but it seems I might be about to board a Greyhound to go off and look for America. Toss me a cigarette, would you? I think there’s one in my raincoat.

3 comments:

Bree T Donovan said...

Lovely Sara isn't turning the lights off. She's turning on the moon for you!

I knew someone who could do that too.

JJ said...

What a superbly soppy bit of lateral thinking, Bree. Not very South Jersey, is it? Have you gone with the wind down south to Dixie, or something?

Bree T Donovan said...

Y'all remember I live in SOUTH jersey.

Were the dear and the antelope play...

And sadly sometimes are hunted.