Saturday 31 March 2012

On Garden Centres and a Little Treat.

There are two big garden centres near here, one of which I can see across the valley from my house. I dislike garden centres. They appeal to a gardening mentality that I would have to categorise generally as ‘suburban.’ It’s all about neatness, tidiness, opulence and artificiality. They have grandiose displays of fancy flagging, decking, artificial stone water features and expensive garden furniture. And worst of all (shudder) they sell plastic robins and nesting blackbirds fixed to the top of plastic poles which people stick in the soil. Why not have plastic soil, too, so you don't get troubled by weeds? Hideous, hideous, hideous...

But that’s just my opinion. My approach to the value of gardens is simple. I like the lawn to be green, the fruit and vegetables to crop, and the flowers to be colourful. And I like an inexpensive chair to sit on and an inexpensive table on which I can rest my plate, cup or glass of beer on a warm summer’s evening. Which is what I’ve got.

*  *  *

On a completely unrelated note, I had a rare treat today. The Dowager Duchess of Mill Lane (that’s M’Lady Bella’s mama for those who haven’t been keeping up with the soap) came past me in a car. She smiled and waved. Her smile is as lovely as Sarah’s, so she made a half decent substitute for the real thing.

No comments: