Tuesday 27 March 2012

The Daily Bits.

Having been occupied with a variety of other things today, I haven’t seen any news reports yet. That means I have no politicians or affairs, foreign or domestic, to rant about or laugh at. I’m also not in the mood for going deeply into anything social, philosophical or spiritual. Accordingly, all I can think to write are a few little notes pertaining to the prosecution of my personal day. That will have to do, so here goes.

Helen visited today, and I discovered that her relationships with her two principle male companions are highly unconventional. Helen is, in some ways, even more unconventional than me.

*  *  *

One of those companions is, apparently, as fixated on Venus, Jupiter and the moon as I am. He pointed their pattern out to her a couple of nights ago. So there’s a coincidence.

*  *  *

She appears to have the unconscious ability to put a hex on my car. The last two times she’s visited, the car has developed a problem (a different one each time) that has cast doubt on the prospect of being able to drive her back to the railway station. On both occasions the problem cleared itself and the journey was made without incident.

*  *  *

So, having made a few mentions of Helen, may I now revert to more familiar territory at the risk of having overripe tomatoes cast in my direction? OK, here goes:

Readers of long standing might remember that my first ever post about Sarah (or Abi, as I now like to think of her) referred to the fact that she was a plain, unassuming young woman who displayed a rare inner beauty. I think it only fair to update the picture and point out that the beauty is no longer confined to the inside. Abi has blossomed.

*  *  *

I saw her again today, having seen her yesterday. Seeing Abi on consecutive days is unprecedented, and has to stop before she tires of me completely and I slump into a slough of despond.

*  *  *

ANFSCD. (Come on, think!)

*  *  *

I’m frequently amazed at how many planes there are in the night sky over our little village. They’re more noticeable at night because of their flashing lights.

*  *  *

And on the same subject, I can’t get the hang of the navigation lights on aeroplanes. Every plane seems to have different ones, which obviously cannot be. I’m familiar with the lights carried by ships; they’re relatively simple. I could tell in pitch darkness whether a ship was on a collision course with mine, or running on a parallel course, or passing in the opposite direction, or running ahead of me. Not so with planes, which I assume is because planes operate in three dimensional space, whereas ships operate in only two.

*  *  *

While out on my walk tonight, it was interesting to note that the teenage son of the people at New House Farm was most courteous in allowing me to pass before driving his noisy, souped up something-or-other out onto the road. Those people driving their new, expensive SUVs, however, were less so.

*   *   *

I was also interested to observe just how much light even a shallow crescent moon throws down. We're only a few days into the new cycle, but already the shadows cast on the road are quite distinct.

*  *  *

So may I now have the rest of the night off?

No comments: