Friday 30 March 2012

Sounds Unheard and Heard.

I was upstairs earlier when I became suddenly aware of a profound quietness. It seemed unnatural, and I stood for some time trying to work what was missing. But what could be missing? It’s quiet here at night anyway, apart from the occasional low hum of a vehicle passing on the lane or the equally low rumble of an aircraft flying overhead.

I’ve had this experience a few times before, usually outside in the garden at dusk. It’s as though my senses become heightened to the almost palpable quality of deep silence. And that’s interesting, because it hints at the old doctrine found in Eastern philosophy – that the ultimate nature of existence is emptiness.

Not so when I went for my nightly walk. As I was approaching M’Lady’s house I heard the sound of two voices, one male and one female, coming from somewhere around the bottom end of Sarah’s field. The male sounded ebullient, the female excited. I wonder what that was about.

No comments: