Sunday 18 December 2011

Surviving Sensitivity.

The lyrics to Raglan Road have been on my mind the past few days. They tell the story (rather badly in my opinion, but never mind) of a poet who falls in love with a woman and pursues his interest in spite of the emotional danger. The lady in question strings him along for a while and then shuns him, which is why it’s a sad song.

It reminds me of something I’ve observed all my life. Poets are sensitive people, and I’ve noticed that sensitivity in a man polarises women into two broad factions. There are those who are attracted by it, and there are those who run a mile because sensitivity isn’t ‘masculine.’ I’ve known plenty of both, and I’m still here.

2 comments:

Maria Sondule said...

I think it depends on the degree of sensitivity. I'd say most women want some degree of it, although not all want a lot of it in their men.

JJ said...

You mean they want it on their own terms? I forgot that type.