Monday 12 December 2011

The Dead Time. (Like, now...)

It’s the dead time of day for me. The garden work is done, the darkness has fallen, the fire is burning up nicely, but it’s too early to make dinner. So I want to make a blog post. What should I make a blog post about? Nothing inspires me, and feeling dead at the dead time of day is irritating.

Would anybody be interested in knowing what I did in the garden?
Would anybody be interested in knowing what I’m planning to have for dinner?
Would anybody be interested to know that I was treated to the rare thrill of seeing Sarah drop onto my blog at seven minutes past four? (That’s the closest I ever get to anything you could call 'contact' these days.)
Would anybody be interested to know that the Woman in America has gone cold and distant? I don’t know why and it’s depressing me a bit.
Would anybody be interested to know that the priestess still, apparently, peers silently around the door every now and then, presumably to see what I’m up to?

I’m surrounded by ghosts at the moment. Illusions. Phantasms. Mirages. All silence and no substance. And I keep getting whiffs of coal smoke, even though the fire is in the next room and isn’t smoking. And my hair still looks like a rat’s nest.

Epiphany! That’s why nobody is talking to me. Who would want to talk to somebody with hair like a rat’s nest when they’ve got men in wigs to look at on the TV?

No? OK.

Best go and tend the fire, then.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well as you asked. Yes please, I would be interested in knowing about all of those things! Didn't you get wet and blown away in the garden this afternoon? I can certainly relate to that. I dislike that limbo time from 4 to about 6 particularly in the winter! I never know what to do with myself! Y

JJ said...

First of all, I thought you were a confirmed ETB/ETR type. What are you doing up after midnight?

OK:

I finished clearing the dead stuff out of the garden today.

No, I didn’t get wet because it didn’t start raining until this evening. That was also why I didn’t indulge in the usual nocturnal perambulation. My winter coat isn’t waterproof any more, and if it gets too wet, it can take days to dry.

I had cheese and onion rolls and stir fry for dinner.

I think the others are self-explanatory.

How do you fancy a game of Scrabble between 4 and 6?

andrea kiss said...

Yes! We want to know...that is why we read your blog.

Nuutj said...

I think you can turn any topic to be interesting. And yeah...I stopped by because I am interested.

JJ said...

Andrea and Mei-shan - what lovely ladies! You give me heart, you know? I was once half invited to write a story about watching paint dry. Maybe I should try it and post it here! I think the 'fishing in an empty pool' one needs to come first, though. I've decided that the protagonist doesn't have to die at the end.

andrea kiss said...

I'm glad he gets to live :o)

JJ said...

There's one detail I still have to work out.