Saturday 17 December 2011

Not Much of a Nightmare.

I’m generally a big fan of Tim Burton films – Betelgeuse, Sleepy Hollow and Corpse Bride in particular. And yet I once tried to watch A Nightmare Before Christmas and turned it off after about ten minutes. It was on again tonight, so I decided to give it a fair shot and watch the whole thing come hell or high water. And still I didn’t like it.

The only two characters I found appealing were the Pumpkin King and his girlfriend; the rest left me cold. The nasties were nothing like nasty enough, and the Christmas people were just sugary. They were all flatter than the pages of a comic book. The whole style left me cold, and so did the music. It was that modern musical-style music that I can’t stand (with the exception of Send in the Clowns and Tell Me on a Sunday.)

So now I know. I wasn’t just in the wrong mood the first time I watched it. This is Burton not doing the business.

4 comments:

andrea kiss said...

We actually tried watching this last night but couldn't get into it after about 10 minutes. I did like it a lot when it first came out, though.

JJ said...

But you were little more than a kid then. Now you're a grown up. Shame, eh?

andrea kiss said...

Yes. I've tried over the years to watch many things that i liked as a kid and i just can't do it. My favorites growing up were the TV show She-Ra and the Disney movie The Little Mermaid, (I slept in a Little Mermaid sleeping bag on top of my bed until i couldn't fit in it anymore. Then i let Gretchen have it). It makes me sad that i can't watch them now. I'm going to give The Little Mermaid another try again soon, though.

JJ said...

Popeye was always my favourite as a kid. I remember being SO disappointed when I got my mother to give me some spinach. Now I like raw spinach, but probably wouldn't bother with Popeye.