Wednesday 14 December 2011

The Shopping Trip.

So, having decided that any prospect of human companionship in this life is now forfeit, courtesy of my weirdness and general undesirability, I went and enquired after the price of goldfish today.

‘£1.50,’ said the woman in the pet shop. ‘Cheaper than budgies.’

I regarded the nearest goldfish, feeling unconvinced. While it had a certain air that might be described as decorative, if not actually exotic, it lacked – what shall we call it – purpose?

‘Does it talk?’

‘Er, not really. And their memory span is said to be very short.’

‘It won’t learn to recognise me then?’

‘Probably not.’

‘So it won’t swim around frantically in a show of greeting when I come home?’

‘Doubt it.’

‘And, of course, I’d have to buy a tank.’

‘Yes, and fish get diseases that have to be treated.’

‘Mmm. I’ll just take the wild bird nuts for now.’

Looks like you’re it, blogger.

--------------------------------------

Some of the above has been fabricated, but what isn’t fabricated is the young woman I saw coming towards me as I walked through the town. She was looking at me in that way people do when they know you. I looked back, whereupon she smiled and said ‘hello.’ I raised one eyebrow and said ‘hello’ back. I haven’t a clue who she was. Celebrities must get that all the time, mustn’t they? How awful.

--------------------------------------

I splashed out again today. £5.99 on a casual jacket from a charity shop. The shop assistant said it looked good from the back, which is just as well since I seem to spend most of my time walking away from people these days. And I’ve decided that retro should be my new style. If only I could get my hair to look less like an impoverished rat’s nest.

3 comments:

andrea kiss said...

Out with the goldfish then.

Anonymous said...

Well ..... I think one can be helped with the confusion of todays encounter. Although the vague similarities I would like to think reminded you of someone. On another note does one only participate in night walks now? Oh and how about a hamster then? Y

JJ said...

Andrea: As the old song said, 'You can't take a goldfish for a walk.'

Sarah: You seem to be suggesting that the person I saw should have been known to me - like your sister or somebody? Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough. And yes, I do only take night walks now. That's partly because of the short days, and partly because I'm reluctant to be seen in daylight these days. Had a hampster once. He wasn't very companionable. And why do you always sign your comments 'Y?'

And by the way, I've been without access to my blog all night. Only just got it back.