Tuesday 20 December 2011

Being the Poor Minstrel.

What’s a chap supposed to do, eh? I was on the phone to Helen for quite a while tonight, so I was late going for my walk. It was around ten o’clock when I sallied inscrutably past La Maison Shu-Shu. (Shu-Shu?  I meant Sarah, of course.) (Shu-Shu!!!???)

So anyway, on the out lap I realised I’d forgotten the bell (I’ve given up on the ladder idea now. The spectre of linen bonnets and granny shawls is too horrible to contemplate.) Plan B: on the return trip I sang the first verse of Raglan Road. Loudly (and rather well, in my opinion.)

Did I get the whistle? Did I get the single red rose cast demurely into my path? Did I even get the sound of one hand clapping?

Guess.

I did have female company part of the way home, though. Cassie, the pub dog, decided to walk my way. A car came down the road and slowed, and I could only imagine his reaction. Some bloke in a tatty old coat and grey woolly hat accompanied by a scraggy Lurcher cross? I thought he might have thrown a couple of pound coins in my direction, but he drove on. They’re a mean lot around these parts.

No comments: