Monday 28 January 2013

Undeclared Ghosts and Anonymous Mice.

People have occasionally asked me whether I’ve ever seen a ghost. Well, I’ve never seen a woman in grey walk through the wall with her head underneath her arm, no, but how can I be sure that some of the people passing me in the town aren’t ghosts? They might be, mightn’t they? So the answer is ‘I don’t know.’

And while I’m on the subject of ghosts, here’s an interesting little thing. I was pouring milk into my tea a couple of nights ago, when I heard the fridge door shut behind me. I must have left it ajar when I took the milk out. Now, there’s a slight slope on the floors in my house – it being old an’ all – but the slope falls away from the fridge. If the door had swung under gravity, which would be logical, it would have opened, not shut. That’s the same fridge where I occasionally find the little mouse magnets moved out of position. I said ‘thank you’ to whatever had shut my fridge door for me.

And talking of mouse magnets, I was pleased to see that the tiny wood mouse who comes out at night and eats up whatever the birds have left has survived the cold weather. He or she was there when I came back from the walk tonight. Of course, it might have been a different wood mouse. He wasn’t wearing a hat or anything.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spooky. We've had some close encounters of the paranormal kind in our home as well. I don't know if you've read back this far, but I wrote about it in a post a few months ago.

Anyway, wishing you luck in finding your way out of this swirling cloud of negativity.

JJ said...

Paranormal encounters have been a common thing with me from as far back as I can remember, Sara. I did a series of posts on them in the early days.

As for the negativity, thanks. It's been going on for two years and it's wearing me down.

JJ said...

Sorry, forgot to say: if you could send me the link to the relevant post, I'd be interested to read it.

Anonymous said...

Ye be a magnet for the weird, Jeff.

I've been reading your blog for quite a while, and when I first began reading, I made my way fairly far back in your archives. So, I do think I read that particular series.

Here's that link for you: http://forestlass.blogspot.com/2012/09/thin-veil.html

JJ said...

Your blog wouldn't let me post a comment - the robot thingy wasn't working properly. So this is what I intended to post:

Obvious question: was Hayle around the age of puberty at the time? This sounds like mostly classic poltergeist activity, which might be some sort of energy projection from the young person involved. As far as I know, however, poltergeist activity doesn't usually respond to a mere lecture, so maybe we're back to a discarnate entity of some kind. Whatever it was, well done.

Anonymous said...

She was, yes, though as you insightfully pointed out, poltergeists don't usually listen to a verbal slap. I do believe it was the woman who's buried on the property, and I think she's probably enjoying having the entire upstairs to herself now that no one stays up there, hah.

JJ said...

Do you have the expression 'granny flat?' Sounds like you've got one.