Sunday 27 January 2013

Defining Poetry.

I want to know what poetry is, by which I mean that I want to know what distinguishes poetry from prose.

It obviously has nothing to do with rhyming, since that’s just an outdated convention. It can’t be merely lyricism, since prose can be eminently lyrical. It can’t be about the distillation of a story or some musings down into the fewest number of words in order to achieve the purist form of expression. Prose can do that too. It surely can’t be achieved by the separation of sentences into lines. That seems to be a contrivance, and therefore insufficient to establish the full distinction of difference.

It has to be about metre, doesn’t it? Metre serves two purposes, both establishing structure and also providing a certainty of rhythmical integrity rarely achievable in prose.

Is that it? I’m hoping somebody will tell me.

*  *  *

I could have made a post about why I’ve been absent for a couple of days, but I’m tired of talking about ill fortune and the dangers of walking a solitary, unconventional road. Maybe I’ll make it one of these days – some time when I’m less afflicted by such dangers and it will sound less like whingeing.

4 comments:

andrea kiss said...

Meter and rhythm are important, and a lot of poems are written to fit a certain type, or with a 'formula' that determines the number of lines, syllables, stanzas... so many different types. Sonnets, Villanells, etc. etc.

To me its more about the language and the way it is used. The connotations of each word are considered more heavily than they are in prose, and can shape the reader's idea of what the poem is really about.

Also, you mentioned line breaks. There is more consideration given to which words start each line, which words end the lines. The lines and words are looked at separately and as a whole. What words are in the middle? How often is a word used? Once? Often? Some poets also utilize the shape of the poem and how it looks on the page to convey meaning. You consider end stop, enjambment, yada yada yada, on and one.

So many things to consider outside of just the lines and stanzas, and sentence structure. Do most of the words have long vowels? Short vowels? Smooth sounds or striking consonants? On and on.

I think there is just a lot more to consider when reading a poem compared to reading prose, but not always.

Another difference: poetry is more headache inducing, at times, than prose is ;)

JJ said...

OK, you've convinced me for the time being. But I might think on.

andrea kiss said...

Don't let me convince you... continue to think on. Its a good question. Probably one that doesn't have an answer, or if so, not just one answer.

JJ said...

Good on yer, kid
You know what you did?
You hid
All my life.

There you go. A poem.

But you did convince me. You did. Honest. And here's a truism to consider:

'All sane men are frightened of their kid sisters.'

I'm reading about Carl Jung at the moment. He and I have a lot in common, only he worked it out.