Sunday 20 January 2013

Almost Normal.

We have icicles! Icicles are surprisingly uncommon these days. The temperature rose briefly yesterday and melted a little of the snow on the roofs, so now they’re fringed with icicles. It would look quite pretty if only there was sunshine to make them sparkle.

That’s what’s unusual about the current weather. If we get a big snow in Britain, the front normally moves away quickly and either a high or low pressure system sets in. One gives us a few days of cold, sunny weather, the other a mild period with a thaw. Not so this time. The weather remains bleak, grey and frozen, with a biting east wind and frequent snow showers.

*  *  *

And here’s an interesting side issue. To save money, the only room I keep heated during the day is my office, only adding heat elsewhere at night when I need it. Consequently, the temperature in most of my house at the moment is lower than it was last night when I was having the inner chill problem. But I don’t have the inner chill problem now. I feel cold on the outside, but not on the inside, which is how it should be. That’s what CFS is like. One day you’re struggling to stay afloat in a heavy sea, the next you’re swimming normally again. Well, almost normally.

*  *  *

And just to prove that I’m swimming almost normally, here’s the latest in the little ‘there was a lady’ series. I know they’re not very good, but they keep my mind ticking over. Just…

There was a lady from Tibet
Who kept a yeti as a pet
’Twas very rude
Ate all her food
How silly can a lady get?

Groan time. And time for me to attend to the needs of my avian friends. They’re hanging around waiting for food. As Captain Oates said: ‘I may be gone some time.’

No comments: