Tuesday 29 January 2013

Spooky Without Spooks.

I once did a series of posts on spooky things that have happened to me down the years. There was one I missed out because, on the face of it, there was no suggestion of there being anything supernatural involved.

It happened when I was married. I was going to bed late one night, and as I opened the bedroom door my wife sat up in bed and stared at me with terror in her eyes. I asked her what was wrong, but she didn’t answer. As I walked across the foot of the bed she watched me all the way, still looking scared as hell, and then she lay down again.

I concluded that she’d been asleep the whole time and didn’t wake her, but I felt very shaken. Being stared at as though you’re a dark demon crawling out of the wardrobe is a surprisingly spooky experience. Maybe fear is just a strongly contagious emotion, but it still made me wonder what the hell she was seeing that I wasn’t aware of.

When I asked her about it the next day, she remembered nothing.

No comments: