Tuesday 15 January 2013

Food Fetishes.

You know how some people can eat a whole box of chocolates in one sitting? (They usually have blue hair, a surfeit of maladjusted poodles and a 50” TV set, but not always.) Well, I’m the same with bread. Give me a loaf of good quality bread and I have great difficulty putting it away until tomorrow.

Oddly, I’m not keen on most of the centres you get in boxed chocolates, especially the fruit creams. The invention of lime cream chocolates has to be one of the very lowest points of human endeavour. Hand made Belgian chocolates, on the other hand, are something else again. Come to think of it, I haven’t had a hand made Belgian chocolate for about twenty years. I have a vague memory of savouring one while watching the TV alone one Christmas – Ghostbusters, I think it was, or maybe Eraserhead. It definitely wasn’t the Queen’s Christmas Broadcast. I would have had too much respect for the chocolate.

Time for another scotch. That’s more of a comforting habit than a fetish.

2 comments:

Wendy S. said...

I LOVE fresh bread! It's more addicting to me than chocolate and that's saying a lot. I'm too lazy though to make it. Have you baked some, Jeff?

JJ said...

I tried once, Wendy, but it didn't turn out very well. I have neither interest in nor aptitude for baking. All that mixing of ingredients seems like an awful lot of trouble to me, and it's probably dearer than buying it from a shop anyway. At least I buy the organic, stoneground, wholemeal stuff.