Wednesday 2 January 2013

The Snowdrops Say 'Hi.'

Snowdrops are sticking their spiky little heads above the earth on the embankment behind my house. I like snowdrops. I do. And I explained why in The Gift Horse, so it would seem reasonable to just copy and paste that paragraph rather than write it out again. It appeals to my taste for economy of effort, which is a euphemism for you-know-what.

As I walked across the verge from the car park that morning, I noticed that the spaces between the trees were awash with clumps of snowdrops. They looked marvellously vibrant, as snowdrops always do at that time of year, their green leaves and white flowers standing proud among the brown earth, dark tree trunks and leafless branches. I had always seen them as Mother Nature’s first whispering of optimism, telling us that the cycle of the seasons has turned upwards and the cold, dark days of winter are on the wane.’

No comments: