Saturday 12 January 2013

Another Sigh and an Old Acquaintance.

Here I am again explaining my absence from the blogging world for a couple of days. The gist of the reason boils down to a form of pollution that is keeping me constantly on edge and frequently subdued. To explain further would risk morphing into Victor Frankenstein, and I wouldn’t wish that fate even on myself.

*  *  *

The nice news from today:

Having had to go over to the big city so as to enable Mr Nigel to administer his trusty socket set to a problem with the car, I called into the theatre for a chat with Rob about literature and the price of gold – which was very enlightening. While I was there, I bumped into an old acquaintance.

Sarah O was the deputy front-of-house manager for part of the time I worked at the theatre. She was my favourite deputy front-of-house manager, and left the year after I did. What I so liked about her was this:

She was frank. If she felt the need to moan at me (which I sometimes encouraged) she would do so immediately, unreservedly, unapologetically, and without rancour. I liked that. I did. She was also emotionally transparent without ever using the fact to contrive advantage of any sort. I liked that, too, so we got on well and it was quite splendid to see her again. The fact that she was young, pretty, gently vivacious, and had sparkly eyes was, of course, immaterial.

*  *  *

I might post a little update to Frankenstein later, as long as I haven’t been given further reason to be edgy and subdued. I also have post comments to answer, but that will have to wait until later, too. Apologies to those who took the trouble. Right now there are jobs to be done, and then the soya chilli and baked potato will be beckoning seductively.

No comments: