Friday 18 January 2013

Oh No, Not Again.

I thought I would never have to do this again.

I once spent all of a freezing Saturday in the loft of an old cottage, clearing 2ft snowdrifts to avert the damage they might have done when they melted. The reason for the snowy intrusion was that much of the torching had fallen off over the century of the house's existence, and the previous day’s blizzard had driven an awful lot of the white stuff through the gaps. (Torching, by the way, is the plaster-like concoction which they used to seal the gaps behind the tiles in the days before roofing felt.)

When I moved into this house in 2006, I persuaded the landlord to have the torching renewed so that I wouldn’t have the same problem again. They did a good job, but apparently not good enough. Since we’re being treated to a bit of a blizzard today, I thought I’d go and check. Most of the torching is good, but there were still four or five piles of snow that had come through gaps, one of which wasn’t small enough for comfort. I thought I’d better get a shovel and a big plastic bag and remove it.

The loft here is difficult to get into through the tiny entrance in the bathroom ceiling. And it’s too small to move around in comfortably. You have to crawl, feeling all the time for the joists which are hidden by lagging laid at right angles. And then you have to stretch and twist to get at the snow. And lofts are always cold, dark, dirty places at the best of times. Mercifully, it was a much smaller job than the last one.

Did I mention that I don’t like winter?

No comments: