Wednesday 30 January 2013

Ashbourne 30/1.

Dull and windy.

The End.

*  *  *

Oh no, there was one thing:

The young flibbertigibbet of a cashier who I’d never seen before asked me as I went through her till:

‘Did you get everything you wanted today?’

‘What?’ (I get so irritated by staff in chain stores who accost me with stupid questions like ‘Are you all right there, sir?’ Repeatedly. I scowl at them. There’s a man in Homebase who drives me up the bloody wall.)

‘Did you get everything you wanted?’

‘No. You’ve stopped selling that American IPA beer that I used to treat myself to once a week. You’re always doing this, and I don’t like it.’

‘Well,’ says the flibbertigibbet, ‘you could always talk to the manager. Maybe he’ll get some in for you.’

Ha! As if…. How many times have managers told me they can only stock what head office tells them to stock, not what their customers ask for? You’d think Sainsbury’s would teach their flibbertigibbets to tell the truth, wouldn’t you?

4 comments:

andrea kiss said...

When cashiers are hired and 'trained' they're told to say those things. I've worked as a cashier before and hated always asking, "did you find everything you were looking for today?" etc. Its even worse when you have to try to sale more items, like, "would you like to buy some ink and paper to go with your new printer? would you like some oil for your paper shredder? Do you have a customer reward card? Would you like to sign up for one?" And if you fail to say such things you get a telling off and maybe even a write up.

Go easy on them, they're just trying to do their job and they probably hate saying that crap even more than you hate hearing it... imagine saying that every 3-5 minutes for 5-8 hours...

JJ said...

But I do go easy on them. I react truthfully; how much easier can you get? I've even been to the supervisors a couple of times and complained about staff being told to ask damn fool questions, in the hope that the idiots at the top will get the message. They won't, of course, because not enough people complain.

andrea kiss said...

Not much else you can do then, i suppose.

JJ said...

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm, you little upstart?

That's OK, I suppose. Family are allowed.