Thursday 19 July 2012

Update and a Link with a Genius.

The repair of all my corrupt files didn’t work, so it was back to the computer doc this morning. I spoke to Yi, Ashbourne’s Mr Computer, whose manner and expertise meet with my approval. He said:

‘In that case the hard drive is probably corrupted. You need either a new hard drive or a new computer.’

There followed a discussion, the upshot of which was that the dear old thing goes in for major surgery on Monday morning. New hard drive, complete re-install, and my pocket about £150 lighter. But that’s cheaper than a new computer.

So why is any of this of interest to readers of this blog? Because:

1) Most of my contact with the world of mortal man (in the Old English, non gender-specific sense, you understand) goes through the computer.

2) Without a computer, I wouldn’t be writing this blog, would I?

I think maybe I need a hobby.

(I just heard somebody say on the radio that Beethoven loved walking in the countryside, and my wife would occasionally tell me ‘You’re doing your Beethoven look.’ Fortunately, I’m not completely deaf yet, neither have I taken to appearing in public having forgotten to put my trousers on. The things we eccentrics get up to...)

2 comments:

Wendy S. said...

Even though the hard drive is expensive to replace I"m glad you don't have to get a whole new computer! How long will you be without your computer and blogging?

JJ said...

The plan is that I take the machine in on Monday morning, and as long as they have no emergencies or meet with any difficulties, they'll have it ready for me on Monday evening. Fingers crossed.