Friday 13 July 2012

Encountering the Goblin's Cousin.

What was I saying about computers and goblins?

After all that stuff with the downloads yesterday, this morning I booted up and it gave me that old ‘Windows isn’t loading’ message again. It hasn’t done that for a while and I thought it was sorted. The Windows goblin was obviously just hiding, irritating little gobshite that he is. So, bypass that one and load Firefox.

‘Unable to connect to your home page,’ said the message. Nice. So then I found I was unable to connect to any web sites. Could this be all part of the same problem, I wondered, since the router is showing as connected? Probably not; this is probably an internet issue. Call the ISP.

‘It’s a data transfer problem,’ said the young man from Yorkshire. ‘It’s affecting a number of users who get their internet from the BT landline. He told me how to ‘force a disconnection (sounds a bit brutal, doesn’t it, but do goblins deserve any better?) and re-connect.’ It worked; I have internet again.

I suspect there’s an extended family of goblins out there whose sole purpose in life is to get on people’s nerves well and bloody proper. Which is why I’m genuinely grateful for the skill and efficiency of the Plusnet technicians. They seem well versed in the practice of bopping goblins on the nose and sending them running home to mummy, at least the internet ones. Couldn’t somebody just invent a goblinicide?

9 comments:

Wendy S. said...

Not only are there goblin's but it's also Mercury Retrograde which means anything to do with communication will be wonky for about three weeks. Computers, bank stuff, communications with other people, travel, etc...So computer goblins get to really play havoc when Mercury goes retrograde!

JJ said...

Nice prospect! Better find something to fall back on. I deleted the joke that followed.

andrea kiss said...

Gremlins.

Anthropomorphica said...

Oh no, not Goblinicide Mr B! Goblins have their place in the grand scheme of things, they teach patience and try to save us from being sucked in to the google machine. Helpful little mites they are, albeit with sharp teeth.
By the way, you got Mathlda's goat up with that one...

JJ said...

Gremlins, goblins, imps... Maybe I'm a slow learner. I take back the 'goblinicide' and apologise accordingly. It hardly does me credit, which is the main thing in my book.

And I suppose it was high time I offended Mathilda. Seems to be part of my life plan to offend everybody at least once. I can't think of any exceptions. Maybe I'm here to teach people tolerance of odd persons.

Anthropomorphica said...

Oh dear JJ, Mathilda has no tolerance, it's beyond her understanding, she's one of those you see...
You can imagine what she is raining on me at the moment as I've hardly been attentive!! Eek!

JJ said...

What I'm most imagining is a Mathilda slithering along the cables and climbing out of my monitor like the woman in Ringu. That was the best bit.

Anthropomorphica said...

Hee hee, that's pretty close to her scary truth!

JJ said...

My TV mysteriously switched itself on once - on the same night as I'd watched Ringu2.