Wednesday 11 July 2012

Food vs Art.

I would like to get an e-mail
From a lady in Peru
Saying ‘come and see my etchings,
For I etched them just for you.’

‘Please excuse me,’ I’d make answer
All a-drooling at the lips,
‘But I’m off down to the chippy
For to get some cod and chips.’

‘But my etchings are much nicer
Than your stupid chippy things.
You poor English are so blinded
To the joy an etching brings.’

‘Oh I know, my bold Latino,
And your offer is quite fetching,
But our stomachs pluck our heart strings
And you cannot eat an etching.’

I think I should point out for the sake for those not well versed in traditional British culture that cod and chips holds an important position in our national psyche. It represents all that is simple, wholesome, charming and comforting. In the old industrial areas, nobody was ever more than a hundred yards from a chippy, and the cold, clammy fog of a winter's night held little ground against the enduring and endearing scent of cod and chips filling the air and dissipating the chill.

2 comments:

Anthropomorphica said...

Good evening and welcome back MJ, I'll take the chippy and champers ;)

JJ said...

Champers? Bottle of Tizer, maybe.