Tuesday 24 July 2012

The Gremlins Saga Continued.

I’m aware that most of us find other people’s computer woes pretty boring stuff, but it would be remiss of me, I think, not to offer the latest instalment to anybody who might be interested.

Sam came out today and the computer played up brilliantly for him. It was a right little sod – took four attempts to boot to Windows!  Sam settled himself down, put the computer into DOS mode and checked everything he could think of. Nothing. After half an hour he delivered the verdict:

‘As far as I can tell, there’s nothing wrong with your computer. It’s been into the workshop twice and never played up there, so I reckon it’s got be something here. (Got to be something here... Sounds a bit creepy, doesn’t it?)’

He suggested that one of the peripherals might be interrupting the boot process, but that would be difficult to test for because the problem is intermittent. I said it might be the fairies who hang around this place, but he declined to comment. He called his boss who offered three options:

1) Give me a straight refund of the £150 I spent yesterday and call it quits.

2) Have the computer into the workshop for an extended period and go deeper and deeper into the system.

3) Sell me a new computer, deduct the £150, but charge me a standard fee for transferring all the files, programs, settings etc.

Option 1 wouldn’t be right, since I undertook to have the work done and I don’t hold them responsible for the fact that it didn’t cure the problem. Option 2 would seem like throwing good money after bad. Option 3, however, sounds appealing and very reasonable if only I can bring myself to spend the extra money. Money isn’t something I have a lot of, you see. I live a simple life on a low income. I have until the end of the week to decide...

I have to add this, though. It’s refreshing these days to find a business that doesn’t try to rip you off for every penny they can extract, and fob you off with whatever crap they can get away with. So well done Dove Computer Solutions of Ashbourne. You have earned my respect (for what it’s worth.)

2 comments:

Wendy S. said...

I would have loved to have seen his face when you said the fairies were at work! . I think your logic in reviewing the options is spot on. It would be a bit difficult to not only purchase a new computer but to learn on one, (my least fave. task). Then again the Gremilins might leave and you have to decide if they're worth having around in the first place.

JJ said...

Well, the gremlins don't seem to be leaving. The old comp is getting worse already - five attempts at the last boot - so a new computer is looking like the only option.