Tuesday 17 July 2012

Wildlife and Troublesome Days.

I expect it was a mouse that took all the small lettuce plants out of the pots in the greenhouse. And I’ve no doubt it’s slugs that are eating the runner bean leaves before they have the chance to send out a vine. And the part eaten strawberries in the strawberry patch suggest that either birds or rodents have been getting a free feed. And it was probably a squirrel that broke the wire line on which the peanut feeder was hanging. And all today.

Still, the lady blackbird made it through. I saw her lying on a wooden plank in the garden earlier, hyperventilating and looking stunned. I assumed she’d been hit by a car, and remembered the advice I heard the bird man at the village fete giving to somebody. He said that birds are physically very resilient and are rarely injured by a car strike. They’re just in shock, and when that happens their body temperature falls. The thing to do is keep them warm and they’ll usually make a full recovery fairly quickly.

So, it was sunny at the time, and Mrs B was lying on a warm piece of wood in full sunshine. I decided to leave her there, but to hang around in case my neighbour’s cats found her. After about ten minutes she stood up, stretched her wings and began preening. Five minutes later she flew off into a tree. Job done. Well satisfied.

My computer, on the other hand, isn’t improving, so I think I’ll take him to the doc’s tomorrow. And tonight I couldn’t get into my Yahoo mail account. ‘Detected a multi-hop cycle’ said the message. A multi-hop cycle. Right. I googled it and got sent to the Yahoo forum, where I found a suggested solution and it seems to have worked.

It’s been that sort of a day.

4 comments:

Orphin Lasz said...

..Or maybe, it was a rabbit! Many years ago, a rabbit came over and it would eat all of our plants (I live in a big city, so that was really STRANGE) O A O ..it was a good thing, though, because that rabbit became my beloved pet for over 13 years unti it passed away, but I still have his picture by the side of my bed (◡‿◡✿)

SO! Maybe it's your soon-to-be new rabbit pet! And that, Mr. Beazley, is what I call good luck ; w ;

JJ said...

And you, Ms Lasz, are too young to be eccentric, IMO.

Nice to see you, Orphin.

Anyway, how would I know it was the same rabbit? We've got hundreds of them around here.

andrea kiss said...

Oh, just so you know, a few days ago yahoo was hacked and 425,000 or so passwords were posted online by the hackers as a warning to yahoo to better their security... assholes. Anyway, i couldn't log into my yahoo account and had to change my passwords as well as the passwords to all online accounts connected to it. Pain in the ass.

So, you may want to change yours as well.

I doubt it has anything to do with your computer problems, but you never know... Glad to hear the problem seems to be solved, though.

JJ said...

Breaking news:

The problem isn't solved - same again this morning. Back to the doc's.