Saturday 21 July 2012

'...They come not Single Spies' #1

The day appearing to be as fine and pleasant as predicted, I decided when I got up this morning to wash the bed linen. My problem is that I have only one pair of summer weight sheets, so they have to be washed, dried, ironed and put back the same day (unless I happen to be sleeping somewhere else that night, of course, but that hasn’t happened so far this millennium.) The sheets were washed and on the line by midday, and dry by about 4, so I decided to bring them in. One of them had something brown on it, which I assumed was a butterfly until I got closer. Nope – bird shite! Back into the washing machine on a 25 minute rinse cycle, then back onto the line.

I brought the rest of the washing in, but then something occurred to me:

‘If anybody sees just a fitted sheet on the washing line, they’ll think I’ve wet the bed.’

Think again:

‘No, they won’t. Lots of people don’t use top sheets any more, they’ll just think you’re normal.’

Think again:

‘Why the hell should I give a monkey’s toss what people think?’

The sheet was left on the line and was dry enough to iron by 7. JJ’s bed is now made up again and ready for occupation.

6 comments:

andrea kiss said...

You are the only person i know of who actually irons sheets.


Why iron them? Can you feel the wrinkles or something?

JJ said...

I like my environment smooth! Ha ha. I've only just got out of the habit of ironing socks!

andrea kiss said...

HAHA! You're just making extra work for yourself.

When i was a kid i couldn't stand a crease in my socks and i absolutely couldn't tolerate the seam at the toe. My mom had to buy socks that were too big so i could fold the toe over the top of my foot before i put my shoes on. Much later i read that that is something some kids with tourettes syndrome do.

JJ said...

With me it's just that everything I enter has to be pristine. I could never understand how people could get into un-made beds, for example. Everything has to be the start of a new experience. Snow is only beautiful if nobody has walked on it.

andrea kiss said...

I agree about the snow.

And i don't like getting into an un-made bed, either. Even if i've left it that way for the day i have to make it before i get in.

Well... i'm off to watch the fire works :) Good night!

JJ said...

Night.