Friday 13 July 2012

Baking for the Brood.

Although I love my little Edwardian house and its magical garden, what draws me most to where I live is the locality. It’s the lanes and fields and hedgerows, the tree-topped ridge behind the house, the rising land beyond the river, the church in the vale etc, etc.

My neighbour, on the other hand, is very home-focused, and particularly on the inside of the house. She’s also a very good baker – I get home made cake now and then in recompense for keeping her shrubs trimmed, and I’m a bit of a connoisseur of good baking.

I’ve noticed before that women who are home-centred are often also good at baking, so I wonder whether it’s part of some biological imperative. Maybe the baking skill is an inherent part of the nest-building instinct. Or maybe I’m talking a load of dingoes’ doings as usual.

2 comments:

andrea kiss said...

Has she had or is she having a birthday soon? Maybe she's a Cancer. They are homebodies and very domestic. My ex mother in law was a Cancer and it fit. Excellent cook. Only good thing i can say about the woman,really.

Liam is a Cancer. Maybe he'll be a good baker, haha.

JJ said...

'Fraid not. She's an Aries. I knew a male Cancerian once who was very home-centred and a good cook. He liked cats, too!