Saturday 28 July 2012

Sheep Behaving Badly.

The big question of the moment is this:

Was my friend Mrs farmer spinning me a yarn recently with her tale of how the sheep couldn’t be moved into the next field because the grass was too long and sheep are ill-equipped to eat long grass?

Well, as I reported last night, the next field has now been mown, the hay made, and the bales removed to the barn ready for winter. This evening I observed that the sheep had been moved onto the freshly mown pasture. So were they grazing the short grass contentedly, possessed of renewed vigour and facing life with a resurgent belief in the best of all possible worlds? No, most of them were lined up at the top edge of the field with heads poked through the wire fence, happily eating the long grass on the strip of adjacent land.

What was really interesting was that several of them broke away from this apparently perverse activity and walked past where I was leaning over the gate. And as each one did, it stopped, turned its head in my direction, and gave me a knowing look.

No comments: