Wednesday 29 June 2011

I Forgot...

Something good did happen to me today. I needed some new summer socks, so I went into a shop and found they had packs of seven cotton-rich pairs for £5. That seemed OK, so I picked one up and took it the checkout. I gave the cashier a £5 note and she gave me £4 change. Seems the socks were in a sale at £1 a pack. £4 might not sound a lot, but the principle is gigantic. It almost paid for Helen and my coffees. It even compensated for the conversation I had to sit through between the daft old lady and her neighbour on the bus, the one that culminated in:

‘How’s John these days?’

‘Ooh, his legs have all broke out now. They gave me some dressings, but the pus keeps coming out.’

That was the point at which the sniggers elicited by her earlier battiness erupted into ill-disguised giggles. And then I had some lunch, believe it or not.

2 comments:

andrea kiss said...

I've started knitting again. I've never learned to knit sock, but i plan on it. If i ever learn i'll have to send you a pair! Free socks!

JJ said...

That would be so splendid, Andrea. I think you'd better start small, though, first off. Some warm, woolly socks for Liam in the Tennessee winter.