Wednesday 22 June 2011

Not My Kind of Thing.

I went into Ashbourne’s main bookshop today to enquire whether they’d be interested in taking a few copies of my novel. They said they would, but only if I was prepared to get behind it. Get behind it? Yes, I’d have to be willing to supply a lot of copies and have a book signing day.

I objected to that on the grounds that I regard book signings as an ego thing and a bit unsavoury. The manageress said that if I didn’t, nobody would buy it. And then the assistant piped up and said that people would want to talk to me about why I wrote the book, why I write generally, and so on. Can you imagine that? I see a paraphrase of that famous line from All Creatures Great and Small looming:

‘Oh, Mr Beazley, what a lot you do know about goddesses. And rabbits...’

I think I’ll give it a miss and rely on Amazon.com.

No comments: