Monday 27 June 2011

Just to be Clear.

And while I’m on the subject of standards, I’d just like to say (though I shouldn’t need to, since I’ve said it before) that I don’t see them as having anything to do with morals or the mores of a judgemental society. Standards are about respect – respect for oneself and respect for the rights and sensibilities of others. That’s all.

And on a related subject, there’s something else I’d like to make clear. It won’t have gone unnoticed that I’ve had a lot of romantic relationships in my life. Somebody asked me not too long ago whether I was a good womaniser. No, I was never a womaniser; I was always a Romantic. Being a womaniser is about predation and opportunism; being a Romantic is about courtesy, respect and the search for an ideal. It would have been a lot easier if I had been a womaniser, for both me and the women involved. Women know where they are with a womaniser. Nowhere.

No comments: