Tuesday 21 June 2011

A Form of Dishonesty.

For reasons which I needn’t go into, I decided to find out today whether I could access the UK Electoral Register free on the internet. I typed ‘free access to the electoral register’ into Google and got lots of returns, many of which explicitly offered a free service. I clicked on several, only to find a load more returns come up. All the ones I went to charged a fee.

In my book that’s dishonest, and it reminded me yet again of the level of institutionalised dishonesty that exists at most levels of our ‘civilised’ society, particularly the political and commercial ones.

One interesting side effect of my searching, however, was that I found a satellite picture of my house on Google Maps, and it occured to me that anybody who knows my address could do the same.

No comments: