Monday 20 June 2011

There Are Jokes, and There Are Jokes.

It seems I might be in a little trouble over my post ‘Language!’ so I’m going to make one more stab at explaining my position before accepting my seat on the tumbrel.

The post was not about criticising Americans in general or one American in particular over their use of language. It was a joke, just a joke. It was a typical Brit-style joke, innocently meant. Does anyone really imagine I would use a phrase like ‘the devastation wrought on Shakespeare’s blessed iambic feet’ if it had been meant any other way? It is true that I respect the ‘rules’ of grammar and generally follow them. That’s because I believe they serve a useful purpose in providing consistency and aiding the more accurate conveyance of expression. It doesn’t mean, however, that I believe we should be slaves to those ‘rules.’ I accept that everybody has the right to consciously break them if they so choose. There, I just split an infinitive! OK? I’m not a grammar Nazi, and I don’t go around seriously complaining that Americans are killing our beloved language.

(By an amusing coincidence, however, I was reading a short story by MR James at lunchtime and came across the following bit of dialogue. ‘It was written in no style at all – split infinitives, and every sort of thing that makes an Oxford gorge rise.’ Fortunately, I’m not an Oxford man. That’s one of the benefits I gained from my stepfather’s refusal to allow me to continue my formal education beyond age sixteen.)

Do you know, writing a blog sometimes reminds me of that famous joke about the three deaf old ladies:

‘It’s windy today, isn’t it?’

‘No, it’s Thursday.’

‘So am I. Let’s have a cup of tea.’

5 comments:

andrea kiss said...

I criticize Americans on their use of language all the time. Its especially hard not to when you live in the South. I know my grammar, etc. isn't perfect, but at least i know the difference in saying some things like "I saw him yesterday" and "I seen him." "I seen him," is more common around here and usually sounds like, "I seeeen eem." I hate that. And i've even seen people type or write "I should of..." Really?!? Its hard to believe that some people actually believe that what they hear when they hear the word should've is actually should of.

Della said...

Don't fuss Jeff, no one is upset or at least I'm not :) Actually I think it's fascinating to hear language used incorrectly. Heaven knows it's my specialty 'auf Deutsch'. And since I've lived in non native-English countries since 1993, my tolerance of mistakes in the English language has skyrocketed (is that really one word?). In fact, I've become so accustomed to seeking out the meaning in a person's conversation that I ignore their mistakes or rather, I don't even notice them anymore.

But you were making a joke – which I think was not lost on anyone, or at least I hope not!

JJ said...

Andrea: Actually, I find vernacular constructions in spoken English quite colourful, although I hate the way people in my home town speak. 'I seen him' is common in some parts of England, especially the south west. I once heard that a lot of the local dialect in parts of the US, particularly New England, come from the south western counties of England. But yes, I do agree that 'should of' in written English is pretty dire. I've seen it in blog comments occasionally. The misplaced apostrophe is another pet hate.

Della: Well, as long as you weren't upset, I'm happy. But you didn't get the correspondence I did. I hope a line can now be drawn under it.

andrea kiss said...

I must admit to a personal problem with the misplaced apostrophe when it comes to writing its and it's. Even though i look up the rule regarding it i can never remember it. Someone corrected me the other day on my typing Fathers' Day, but i think i'm right and all those who typed Happy Father's Day are wrong, (Sunday was Fathers' Day here), because its a day to recognize all fathers and not just one. It belongs to all of them. Even the shitty ones, i suppose.

JJ said...

The way I remember the its and it's rule is to keep in mind that 'it' is the only pronoun that doesn't take a possessive apostrophe. What I find more difficult to swallow is the occasional shopkeeper who writes signs saying 'Apple's: 50p a lb.' Father's and Fathers' is, as you say, a fine point depending on how you view it. I would err on your side.