Tuesday 14 June 2011

Connections and Perspectives.

Something else struck me about the Terry Pratchett programme (see Watching the End.)

Shortly before they went into the ‘dying room,’ the players in this drama sat around a table discussing legalities and signing forms. They were having a nice, polite cup of tea. How very civilised, I thought. The man who was about to meet his end drank his tea with no apparent concern. It occurred to me that in such a situation I would be consumed with the surreal awareness that this would be the last cup of tea I would ever drink. Is that something to do with HSPs making ‘connections,’ I wonder.

And at the end of the programme, Pratchett said that the now deceased man was the ‘bravest he had ever met.’ My vote went to the mother of the other man featured. She was about to lose her 42-year-old son, but said with great calmness and conviction that the choice had to be his. Supporting his decision was the only right thing to do.

Puts a new sense of perspective onto some of our worldly woes, doesn’t it?

No comments: