Thursday 30 June 2011

Being Mad in Nature.

I went for a walk today to have a long, imagined conversation with the rare and special person. Long walks are best for that, I find.

On the way back I sat on a stile in the sunshine for ten minutes or so, and found myself idly fingering the long grass growing on the verge between the lane and hedgerow. Being a gardener who occasionally has to weed flower beds and vegetable plots, my instinct was to pull one of the blades of grass out. Fortunately, I came to my senses in time. I looked at it and realised that there was no reason to pull it out. It was living its own life, however innocuous it might seem to us, and I had no justification for interfering with that process. More than that, though, I got a sense of how beautiful it was, and what pleasure there was to be had in gently stroking the leaves. So I stroked the leaves instead, and left it growing happily away.

You can see why I live alone, can’t you?

4 comments:

Nuutj said...

Many times that I looked at grasses, wild flowers and thought that they were beautiful. And like other plants intentionally grown, they are purifying our air.

I enjoy being with plants too. :)

JJ said...

It's a pity we don't purify theirs, isn't it?

Nuutj said...

But our Co2 is essential to them too.

(I am thinking of Richard Feynman's word 'The inconceivable nature of nature'.)

JJ said...

Yes, I thought of that when I wrote it Mei-shan. Complicated, isn't it?