Saturday 25 June 2011

Bats, Branches, and More Reflection.

I have a good arrangement with the bats. I talk while they catch flies. Suits us both very well. I explain the differences between humans and bats – the relative merits and drawbacks and so on – while they have a hearty feed. And a good time is had by all.

They didn’t stay too long tonight, though, and when they’d gone I found myself watching the trees until it was almost dark. There’s something about the murmuring and swaying of tree branches in a breeze that says something fundamental about the essence of this mysterious thing we call life, but I can’t quite put my finger on what it is. It’s as though I understand it up to a point, but I can’t describe it to myself. Which is probably as it should be. I can feel it touching me, but I can’t quite touch it back. Whatever it is, it’s peaceful and awakens the perception of beauty without any obvious visual stimulation. That can only be good, I’m sure.

And then, as ever, I wondered whether life would be easier if I lived it almost exclusively at the level of Id and Ego, as most people seem to do. I’m sure it would; but it wouldn’t make it better, would it? So I’ll stay as I am. Not much choice, really.

I said it was a day for reflection, didn’t I?

No comments: