Friday 24 June 2011

Making the Best of the Weather.

We’ve had a uniformly grey sky all day today, and the rain started to fall towards the end of the afternoon. It was good rain – gentle and windless, just the sort the garden likes best. So, instead of joining my wild rabbit pal (who was oblivious to the rain as he continued to eat my lawn) by sitting in a sodden garden getting wet, I decided to take a walk and get wet instead. Up the lane in the gathering gloom, through a small wood that borders the road, and out into a young cornfield that overlooks the valley.

There’s a brick barn on the far side of that cornfield, one I’d seen from a distance but never taken much notice of before. It would make a superb little two up, two down cottage – ideal for a hermit like me. Lots of work and permissions needed, of course, but if ever I win the lottery I’ll be making enquiries of the owner.

They’re forecasting temperatures in the mid seventies over the weekend, possibly even reaching eighty. They’re calling it a heatwave. Those of you who live anywhere south of the Canadian border or equivalent may giggle. We are on the same latitude as Labrador, you know.

No comments: