Wednesday 22 June 2011

Echoing Down the Years.

I’ve withdrawn my novella from prospective publishers three times because I fell out with them for one reason or another, so now I’m thinking of self-publishing it with Lulu.com. I think I’ve probably learned enough about their strange ways to have a relatively simple ride next time. With that in mind, I started editing it today, and came across this on page 22. It’s part of the preliminary description of Natalie, the heroine of the piece, who is in her late teens.

There was no doubting the advantages nature had given her. She was certainly very good looking, and the lure of her seductive hazel eyes coupled with the lustrous glory of her long, raven-dark hair would have been mesmerising in one inclined to be content with the simple value of such gifts. I had always thought it sad that she could have been quite beautiful, but chose instead to be merely pretty and cheaply alluring.

Well now, that was written six or seven years ago. How interesting that it should have reverberated all these years later. Says a lot about my prejudices, maybe. Or should that be ‘sensibilities?’

No comments: