Wednesday 15 June 2011

I Have a Dream.

My house appears to be right underneath the north western corridor to one of East Midland Airport’s main approaches. EMA is only about thirty miles away, and every evening when I sit in my garden I get a succession of low flying, inbound planes. I also seem to be underneath a number of other flight paths to further destinations because I get a lot of high altitude planes flying over, too – black dots with big vapour trails.

I watch them and wonder how different life must seem at that moment for the people on those planes – people travelling at several hundred knots in company with others, people going somewhere – while I sit alone in a quiet little corner of rural England. It’s as though we live in different versions of reality, which I suppose we do.

I want a bit of their reality. I want to go somewhere – on a plane! I want to go to places that might or might not be interesting, but which contain interesting people, people I want to meet.

There are two good reasons why I can’t do it at the moment, but one day...

2 comments:

andrea kiss said...

Not quiet the Martin Luther King speech, haha.

The one constant desire i've had all my life has been to travel. I've never traveled outside the U.S and i've never flown.

JJ said...

I've only ever been on five planes. Amercan Airlines was the best. United not so good. Every stewardess was 5ft 6, slim, blonde, and rude.