Friday 24 June 2011

Colourful, but Not Important.

The BBC’s flagship magazine programme is called The One Show. It occupies the prime time 7pm slot on their main terrestrial channel. Tonight’s principal ‘guest’ is the British style guru, Gok Wan.
 
Now, it doesn’t bother me unduly that we have people with such laughably inane occupations as ‘style guru.’ If life is simply a matter of passing the time, why not have some colour in it? There’s enough that’s troublesome going around, so why not have a bit of inanity here and there?
 
What bothers me is that we treat such people as though they’re important, and make them very wealthy into the bargain. Now that’s dumb.
 
Meanwhile, the priestess continues to try and screw up my nervous system with her blog post titles. I wish she’d stop it.

4 comments:

Della said...

'Style guru' is really a low point, I think. It's amazing what they want us to accept...

JJ said...

Yes, I know. It's a variant on 'lifestyle guru' and 'fashion guru.' I wonder whether we create these things (or the system does) to compensate for the loss of the more real things that people USED to concern themselves with, or whether they're a device to deflect us from all the strees we're subjected to now.

Della said...

Probably both, and they think it's MORE interesting than what we used to concern ourselves with – that's the really sad part.

JJ said...

Yes, indeed. I remember when the whole family used to gather around the piano and sing 'Don't Put Your Daughter on the Stage, Mrs Worthington.' My word, how we laughed!

No I don't. I'm kidding. But I bet it was good.