Thursday 9 June 2011

Ye of Little Faith.

It’s off to Nigel’s tomorrow to return his van and collect the Red Renault. For five months now I’ve been nervous every time I’ve gone out in that car, always wondering whether it was going to work properly and, if not, how much difficulty it was going to cause me. Twice Nigel has told me it’s fixed. Nope. Now he tells me again that it’s definitely fixed this time. Do I believe him?

His fellow mechanic told me the last time I was in there:

'The newer a car is, the more shit you get with it.'

Seems to me this is an example of what I've been saying for years. As we advance technology we make it ever more complicated, and the more complicated we make it, the more there is to go wrong and the less reliable it becomes. That's progress.

No comments: