Friday 10 June 2011

Beyond the Fringe Again.

In all the places where I worked for an employer, I found that colleagues accepted or rejected a person depending on whether he or she operated within the bounds of received convention. If you were ‘normal,’ you were in. I made a good job of pretending, but it was tough at times.

Not so the theatre. The human condition is their stock in trade, so almost all colours and variations are accepted. It isn’t hard to understand, therefore, why the only two occupations I enjoyed were working at the theatre and being a self-employed landscape photographer. In one I was accepted, and in the other I didn’t need to be.

4 comments:

andrea kiss said...

I've always been the outcast among my co-workers. And most of the time i've preferred it to be that way. I avoid useless gossip by being out of the loop. I also don't get asked to Bible study meetings and Mary Kay parties. All fine with me!

Della said...

The theatre must have been a great experience – I envy you. My kids are involved in the English theater here in Berlin and the atmosphere is wonderful.

Convention is a brutal thing and my whole family (parents, siblings) have struggled with it, though we're hardly the Bohemian type. It's just that so many people are followers unfortunately, and our society doesn't exactly promote self-reliance. I know it's corny, but I sometimes think of Kipling's "If" and how unperturbed you have to be in the face of social convention. Ironically, the outcast can quickly become the hero in this world – but if you don't want that either, it's even harder.

JJ said...

Andrea: I think you're probably better off without Bible study meetings and Mary Kay parties. Who's Mary Kay? Is she one of those purveyors of naughty knickers and unspeakable devices? Never saw the point myself.

Della: Interesting that you use both spellings of 'theatre.'

'...and treat those two impostors just the same.' One of my favourites I know what you mean about the outcast becoming the hero. And no, I don't want that either.

Della said...

Ha. I have this problem with American vs. British spelling, I suppose because I've been in Europe for almost 20 years now. Can't make up my mind :)