Thursday 16 December 2010

Tricky and Frustrating Day.

More vehicle problems today, and another visit from the breakdown service. There followed two hours of driving, first in pelting rain and then snow, to try and get the damn problem sorted once and for all. In the process, I encountered a surprising run of difficulties and delays in trying to get some air into a half-deflated tyre. Hopefully, the damn problem is now sorted. But watch this space.

When I got home at around four, I found a police car parked at the bottom of my path and a message on voice mail from my disabled neighbour’s son-in-law. It seems my neighbour had activated his alarm and the first response unit had sent the police to investigate. The son-in-law asked if I could go round to find out what was happening.

There were three young policewomen attending to Fred, and he was sitting there happy as a pig in muck! He’d had a fall in the bathroom, apparently, and couldn’t get up again. The policewomen had got him back to his armchair and made him a cup of tea. Well I never! One of the young women was pretty scrummy, so I asked indignantly whether she would come and pick me up if ever I fell over.

No I didn’t. I was a model of decorum and propriety, as befitted the situation. I think I should be proud of myself.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Jeff, you always manage to make me laugh not at you but with you because despite all these annoying inconveniences you employ your wit. I love what you said to the police woman about coming to pick you up! Priceless...what did she say back to you? And what does "scrummy" mean?

JJ said...

I didn't actually say it, Wendy. It was just my first instinct - as ever. She did smile at me lots, though, which was a bit off-putting at the end of a difficult day.