Wednesday 15 December 2010

Fiction and the Real Thing.

Fingers crossed! My internet connection has been working fine this evening, so I’ve just posted the latest story to the other blog.

And on the subject of fiction, I watched a rather bleak but compelling little film called Young Adam tonight. There was a lot of sex in it, nearly all of which was well merited because the film was about a sex-obsessed young man played by Ewan McGregor. The only scene I considered gratuitous was the one in which the aforementioned Mr McGregor was revealed to be generously endowed. I wondered whether he’d bribed the director to put that one in. I didn’t see any need for it, but maybe my opinion was clouded by a certain measure of envy which I really should be above by now.

The film as a whole demonstrated the difference between the rake and the Romantic, a subject about which I made a post a month or two ago. Ewan McGregor’s character is a typical rake, and I was reminded again that it must be so much easier being a rake than a Romantic. Romantics suffer a terrible confusion of values sometimes.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Oh you know how I feel about Ewan! I'm just going to have to rent this movie somewhere. He seems to be popping up all over the place lately ;)

JJ said...

I thought of you when I was writing this one, Wendy. I assume 'popping up' wasn't a deliberate pun!