Tuesday 14 December 2010

More on Connections.

I wrote in a story once about how I’m fascinated by railway tracks. It’s all about connections; those bits of metal snaking off into the distance connect you with every corner of the realm.

I wonder whether it’s the same with the internet. If you’re thinking about somebody, and that somebody happens to be reading your blog or typing an e-mail to you, do all those millions of miles of cable connect you in a tangible way? Is there a connective energy involved, and can that energy be magnetic? It sometimes feels that way. Or am I seeing this in too practical a way? Are all real connections spiritual, and the cables merely coincidental?

2 comments:

Maria Sondule said...

Interesting idea. Personally, I'd say no, but we can't really say for sure.

JJ said...

What I keep coming back to, Maria, is this. The scientists tell us that the concept of 'solid' is illusory, or at least subjective, because everything - including the human body - is ultimately composed of sub atomic particles which are just energy. So are the signals coming through the cables composed of the same energy? In which case, wouldn't they touch?