Friday 24 December 2010

The Best Laid Plans...

The weather forecast last night was uncharacteristically positive. ‘One thing I can promise you,’ said the weather woman, ‘is that there won’t be any snow tomorrow. It’ll be a dry day with some sunshine, and the temperature should lift just above freezing.’

This was good news because I was getting short of some items of clothing, so I decided to do a wash and put it out on the clothes line. I hate using the electric dryer, you see – too expensive and bad for the environment.

First job this morning then; a load of socks, underwear, shirts and T shirts went into the washing machine and then migrated to the clothes line. I checked them optimistically at 3 pm. The shirts had dried a bit, the socks and underwear hadn’t dried at all, the T shirts were stiff because of the sub-zero temperature, and it was snowing anyway. So I brought them in, only to find that a bird had crapped on one item just to add insult to injury.

And then I got a phone call from a debt collection company pressuring me over a £2,000 debt that isn’t even morally mine. I never saw any of the money; it was incurred on somebody else’s behalf with the promise of repayment that never materialised. But it’s in my name so I’m stuck with it. It took a good fifteen minutes and all my powers of persuasion – honed over many years of struggling financially – to get them to review the case in six months time.

Nice timing, eh?

--------------------

The above was written earlier. My friend Mr Winter Depression has climbed onto my shoulders tonight. I wonder how long he’ll stay there.

4 comments:

Ceci said...

I'm always tempted to offer to co-sign loans because I feel bad for my international friends, new to America, without credit scores... but I'm glad I haven't yet.

JJ said...

Hello Ceci. Nice to see you. I'm pretty philosophical about the whole thing really. I think that life just calls on you to help out sometimes, and then you deal with the consequences as best you can.

Your dogs are beautiful.

Wendy said...

I'm sorry Jeff that all this financial stress and insanity is weighing heavily on you. I empathize and just take one moment at a time...Wish I was there with you so that we could go for a nice English ramble.

JJ said...

It's OK, Wendy. It isn't as bad as it used to be when I was at the end of my tether, and literally on the verge of being unable to function. The prospect of homelesness was weighing heavily. And I did get to smile when the washing woes culminated in the bird crap! I love birds. You wouldn't want a ramble at the moment. Everywhere is lethal around here at the moment. The lanes are near impossible to walk on, and we're forecast -20C again tonight. Maybe in the autumn. It's nice here in the autumn.