Tuesday 21 December 2010

Still here - Sort Of.

You haven’t had the pleasure of me today yet, have you?

(Oh, God, I suppose I should explain that the above is an old Brit sitcom joke. OK? Right then.)

The reason is that I’ve been otherwise engaged doing one of four things.

Spending time with Helen - having a solstice bonfire, enjoying a meal, watching a Harry Potter film, and listening to her rant about a variety of things; mostly the fact that commercial breaks kept interrupting the Harry Potter film.

Spending what seemed like almost as much time waiting for her delayed train to turn up this morning, and for another delayed train to arrive at the station and carry her homeward this evening. It seems the British rail system has even more trouble with cold weather than it does with autumn leaves. I once spent four hours sitting on a train stuck out in the wilds with no power on a very cold Boxing Day night. That was fifteen years ago. Nothing changes much.

Going through the two hour process of lighting a fire in my living room much later than usual. It hadn’t been practicable to do it while Helen was here, for reasons that would take too long to explain.

Sitting in front of said fire watching a rather good little comedy horror film called Severance, because it was a lot warmer there than it was in my office. We’ve got -10C again tonight, with more snow forecast.

So, here I am now with nothing of any consequence to say except: Happy Solstice. Oh, and when the clouds clear the full moon, it looks absolutely splendid shining on the icy landscape.

I might think of something else to say later when I’ve permitted myself the luxury of supplementary heating in my office and my brain thaws out. Hopefully.

3 comments:

Anthropomorphica said...

Sounds like you had a very lovely evening and what a wonderful night for a bonfire!

Wendy said...

Some day we'll celebrate Solstice together and I would love to meet Helen. You two sound like such good company over the usual louts that seem to ramble all over the place. Sill teary over your email you send me about Penny, but also smiling because you got to have her in your life. I had a very unenlightening Solstice, but life could be worse. What did you have for your meal together?

JJ said...

We actually had the bonfire during the day, Mel, out among the ice and snow. It was quite atmospheric. The evening was the tricky bit - no fire in the grate and the house a fridge.

Helen is something a bit special, Wendy, and I get on enormously well with some of her friends too - especially three of her woman friends and her last-but-two boyfriend. I don't know the present one too well yet, but he seems OK. I told her about sending you that e-mail and - predictably, I suppose - she said 'Ahhh...' Penny was her greatest love, I think. I think I should decline to say what we had for dinner - it wasn't exactly haute cuisine, and it was H's choice! For all her wondrousness, she can be a bit of a slob when it comes to food sometimes. She was the one who taught me that it REALLY DOESN'T MATTER how you hold a fork, bless her. Quite right, too!