Sunday 26 December 2010

Coming Down to Earth.

Right, now that Christmas has passed its zenith I suppose I should start making the odd foray into the land of earnest consideration again. No more talk of socks, except to say that the ones I got for Christmas are 100% wool, thick and warm. So that’s OK. Socks are now a done deal.

Reincarnation is coming up. No preaching, of course, just something I don’t quite understand. In the meantime, however, a little word about my bank.

We’re always being told these days that every piece of paper containing any detail about us must be shredded. Society is crawling with ne’er-do-well opportunists, we’re told, people who will prise open the slightest chink in our financial curtain and steal our identities. Our accounts will be cleared out, we will be plunged into insufferable debt, and our lives will be ruined.

So, two days ago, my bank admitted that they had inadvertently sent out account details of 35,000 of their customers to the wrong people. This is no problem, they say; it constitutes no additional risk to our financial security.

Which of these contrasting positions should I believe? And should I be concerned that some potential ne’er-do-well in Hemel Hempstead or somewhere has been given full details of my bank account? Is there a bit of speaking with forked tongues going on here?

4 comments:

Della said...

Sorry to hear about that bank, a great thing for people to hear after Christmas, no doubt. But I'm happy to read you had a nice Christmas day with lovely gifts, a few warming drinks and Annie Lennox's wonderful video (I got her CD for Xmas from my son b.t.w. and he likes to plays the drummer, too! :) Sorry I wasn't around to wish you a Merry one Jeff, so Happy Boxing Day it is! Take care and keep warm!

JJ said...

Hello Della. Good to hear from you again. Christmas was oddly insistent this year for some reason. I usually pretty much ignore it. Currently enjoying my best ruby port, having just had some very fattening fried things and Christmas pudding for dinner. With cream.

Best wishes for the rest of the holiday. Enjoy the music. I think the drummer is a man thing. There's something amarchistic about him.

Zz... said...

lol it probably doesn't matter ubless you're actually rich right! would be crims will probably see your balance and think too much bother "next!" unless of course you are a zillionaire secretly masquerading as an impoverished writer...LOL that's it! isn't it? heheh

JJ said...

Ah, now I get it. You think I'm rich; that's why you bother with me. You're a gold digger, right? You just want to marry some rich old guy, treat him to your accustomed Scorpionic charms, sit back with a cigarette while the coronary runs it's course, and then claim the money.

Rumbled, Mistress Z.