Monday 13 December 2010

Paint Me Warts and All.

When Oliver Cromwell commissioned his portrait, he told the artist:

‘Use your skills to paint the most accurate likeness of me, with no attempt to flatter.’

So this is Jeffrey doing an Oliver. I’m going to reveal one of my warts for all to see!

I have a minor OCD issue. I count things.

Two examples that spring readily to mind: When I’m lighting the fire, I count the number of pieces of coal that I place around the initial heap; and when I’m making a mug of hot chocolate, I count the number of times I stir it.

This is all to do with numbers, because I have a feeling for all the single ones. I like 3, 7 and 9. I’m neutral on 1, 2 and 5. I dislike 4, 6 and 8. For that reason, I’m not entirely comfortable unless the number of stirs, or whatever, is a multiple of 3 or 7. All multiples of 9 are automatically multiples of 3, of course, so that isn’t a problem.

Apart from that, I’m perfectly all right. Well, apart from my ego problem. If I didn’t have an ego problem, I wouldn’t be making warts-and-all revelations, would I? So that’s two warts. Damn! 2 isn’t a favourite number. Suggestions are invited for the third.

6 comments:

Anthropomorphica said...

A spotty bottom? ;)

JJ said...

'Fraid not, Mel. I'd be a complete wreck now if that were the case. Think of all the ammunition for those aggrieved women!

KMcCafferty said...

I'm partial to even numbers myself.

A friend of mine has very very very slight autism, I never ever would have guessed it if he hadn't told me. He's insanely smart, and insightful, and probably one of the most interesting people I've met. He also associates every single person he meets with a number. Every single person he's met in his lifetime has a number, and he always remembers it. I've made an effort to keep track of a few of them in my sketchbook from the local coffee shop, just to quiz him, strangers that would come in and out and just say hello or excuse me-he always got the number right.

JJ said...

There's profound respect for numbers in mystical traditions, McC, as I'm sure you know. I've often wondered whether people with autism and other conditions are priviliged to 'see' things the rest of us don't.

Maria Sondule said...

Hahahah!
I don't think this is very OCD, thankfully. It's just your human brain trying to create order out of chaos. Good luck recruiting your third wart...
I count things too, but mostly it's the minutes until class is over. I count blog posts, number of sweets I eat in a day, steps to the bus stop, snowflakes I catch on my tongue...
so be not afraid, you are not mentally disturbed. ;)

JJ said...

Maria, the image of you catching snowflakes on your tongue is quite beautiful. As for being mentally disturbed, you don't know the rest! Mad as a March Hare in some ways.