Thursday 23 December 2010

Tonight's Dose of Randomness.

Can you believe that I was going to make another post today on the subject of ‘intimations of mortality?’ The issue has raised its head again as a result of my neighbour’s troubles. It’s too late in the day, though (or too early if you want to be pedantic.) I don’t really do serious at this time of night. I’ll put it on the pending pile.

Somebody found my blog this evening by searching Google for it’s Nelson’s willy. Blogging can be such fun sometimes.

It’s been a day of mixed connections. The woman-who-runs-the-pet-shop’s daughter smiled at me in a way that I found somewhat enervating. Jeffrey the jelly. Phew! But then I saw a beautiful chocolate Labrador tied up outside a branch of WH Smith’s. She looked at me, too – sadly. I don’t think she was happy being tied up, poor thing.

Our overnight snowfall only amounted to about two inches and the traffic soon compressed it to ice. Frothy, bless him, coped with it just fine, but I didn’t. I slipped on it about ten times just taking a letter to the post box. I do wish the media would shut up about the bloody weather, though. It doesn’t change anything, it just makes us feel more oppressed by the elements. Let’s just get through it, shall we? It is officially winter now.

I watched an interview on a news channel last night about the weather. The anchorman interviewed a scientist and an engineer on how one addresses the issue ‘making public services resilient (the new buzz word) to weather conditions is a balance between cost and probability.’ The engineer spoke for some time, effectively saying nothing more than ‘making public services resilient to weather conditions is a balance between cost and probability.’ The scientist talked about something else entirely. Why the hell do they bother? I could have used that ten minutes watching a re-run of Popeye or something.

My watch strap has broken. It’s a black Casio, and I want a black plastic strap to replace the old one. I tried to get one in Ashbourne, my local town. No joy; Ashbourne is a bit too snobbish for that kind of thing. Ashbourne does leather straps and expensive gold bracelets. Ashbourne doesn’t do plastic. I wonder whether I belong here.

Sometimes I think I’m really irritating.

No comments: