Sunday 12 December 2010

A Christmas Carol? Me?

I’ve made it clear often enough that I’m not a Christian. I have great respect for the prophet Jesus, and a lot of what he purportedly taught sits well with me. I can’t, however, accept the core Christian doctrine of Redemption. Neither can I accept that the God of the Old Testament has any place in the New. For me, the Judaic God and Jesus just don’t belong together. And that’s the main reason why I have difficulty with Christmas carols these days. It’s the lyrics. They strike me as childish representations of an untenable doctrine.

So, it should come as some surprise that I earnestly recommend you watch a video of Annie Lennox singing God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen. Della recommended it to me and it’s absolutely bloody mind-blowing. I’m not embedding it because this blog format doesn’t handle widescreen videos, but here’s the link.

OK, I know personal taste comes into this sort of thing, and I know some people like their Christmas carols coated with two feet of sugar icing. If, however, you respond to a strong woman with a strong voice; and if you have a taste for the bizarre and surreal; and if the primal power of a simple skin drum beating out a compelling rhythm turns you on, watch this video.

Thank you, Della. Quite remarkable!

5 comments:

Della said...

Glad you enjoyed it! I was impressed that Annie Lennox took a traditional Christmas song and weaved such lovely "pagan" moments into it! Nice to know there are still people around who have such creative daring.

Zz... said...

how do you understand redemption? i am not being cheeky!!!

JJ said...

There's so much to say about that video, Della. I wanted to use the word 'pagan' in the post, but it didn't happen to fit anywhere. Annie Lennox always was a breaker of moulds, wasn't she? Remarkable woman.

What I was told was this, Z. Jesus was God incarnate. He took human form in order to sacrifice himself and save mankind so that we could go to heaven when we die. Unless we accept Jesus as lord and 'saviour,' therefore, God rejects us. The whole concept makes no sense to me. And it raises questions: What about all the people who lived before Jesus came to earth? What about all the people who, for reasons beyond their control, never get to hear the 'message,' And there's the issue of the unbaptized babies. According to the Christian Church when I was a kid, babies who die before they're baptized are condemned to spend eternity in hell. It seems to me that the whole concept of redemption was invented to accord with the Judaic mindset which placed great store on sacrifice.

But this subject is a bit too complex for a simple blog comment.

Jeanne said...

Remarkable! I loved the video. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. I have always admired Annie Lennox for the strong woman that she is.

JJ said...

I agree, Jeanne. For me, it's the combination of power, feminine beauty, and the courage to go her own way. She leads that video in a way most modern artists wouldn't be able to.