Tuesday 14 December 2010

Mr M is at it Again.

Wendy has recently had a lot to say about Mercury going retrograde, and the problems it throws up with regard to communications and technological malfunctions. Well, so far, I’ve had a vehicle refuse to start, two flat tyres, the microwave going on the blink, and this morning my internet connection started playing up badly. For several periods I couldn’t access anything. I called my ISP and the engineer gave me a list of all the things that could be causing the problem. He didn’t mention Mercury going retrograde.

I discovered something interesting, too. I asked him why I pay £11.99 a month for a 10Gb connection, while my friend Rob pays less than that for a 60Gb from the same ISP. He explained that it’s because of where I live. In urban areas with a high density of population, the per capita cost of providing an internet service is lower, and internet provision is run strictly on free market principles, not egalitarian ones. Because I live in the countryside where the population is much more spread out, I would have to pay 66% more for a 60Gb connection than somebody living in a large town or city. Bloody Mrs Thatcher!

No comments: